Cosine Function as one of the trigonometric function
The right angle triangle has a adjacent side, opposite side and a hypotenuse. The definition of cosine function is given as cosine of a angle θ is equal to ratio of adjacent side and hypotenuse. Lets make cosine function more clear by below diagram.
The equation of cos function is given as,
cosθ = Adjacent side / Hypotenuse
Closer look on graph cosine function
The process for graphing cosine function is very simple. For the different values of angle (say angle a) find the value of cosine of that angle (cos(a)). Plot the graph of angle v/s cosine of angle. So this is how graph cosine function prepared. Cosine functions value at different value of angle is given below,
From above table, the graph of it prepared which looks like,
Some of conclusions from cosine function graph are,
1. The cosine function repeated after every 2π interval, so its period is 2π.
2. The cosine function exists for all value of angle, so its domain is from −∞ to +∞.
3. The cosine function is always have a value between -1 to +1, so its range is from -1 to +1.
4. The cosine function is even function, so cos(-θ) = cos(θ).
After studying process of graphing cos functions, we will going through cosine formulas.
1) The most commonly and widely usable formula which is also known as Pythagorean identity is,
sin2x + cos2x = 1
so, cos2x = 1 - sin2x
2) The derivative formula for cosine function is,
3) The Integration formula for it is,
4) The addition and subtraction of two cosine angle is given by,
cos(x + y) = cos(x)cos(y) – sin(x)sin(y)
cos(x – y) = cos(x)cos(y) + sin(x)sin(y)
5) The multiple angles of cosine can be simplifies as,
cos(2x) = cos2x – sin2x
cos(3x) = 4cos2(x) - 3cos(x)
6) For divided angle cosine can be simplifies as,
7) Different types of operation on cosine functions,
Video Lesson on Cosine Graph
San Francisco, USA
"If you're at school or you just deal with mathematics, you need to use Studygeek.org. This thing is really helpful."
"I will recommend Studygeek to students, who have some chalenges in mathematics. This Site has bunch of great lessons and examples. "
" I'm a geek, and I love this website. It really helped me during my math classes. Check it out) "
"I use Studygeek.org a lot on a daily basis, helping my son with his geometry classes. Also, it has very cool math solver, which makes study process pretty fun"